Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Spring blossoms Philadelphia


By Jack Booth


       Shots taken in the shade pose a real challenge. Even with my Canon EOS 5D set to the Shade setting, the shot came out blue and dim, as in the second shot. But I liked the overall mood and didn't want to wreck it with too much fiddling. So it was off to Lightroom, where I kept the changes to the bare minimum, basically boosting the Brightness level while shoving Recovery all the way to 100 to protect the highlights. I added a little Black, just +2, and a fair amount of clarity, which really helped the blossoms on the ground. I warmed everything up with a Temp setting of +9 and a Vibrance boost of +32, and added just a little sharpening, which consists of: Amount 91, Radius .7, Detail 56 and Masking 33. The settings are shown in the third panel. I used Snapshots (Command N), which enabled me to flick back and forth to see if I like the results. It all was quick and fairly minimal, but the effect was dramatic.


There is a new SmugMug site by a California photographer, Lawrence Goldman, which is worth checking out by going here: http://photosbygoldman.smugmug.com/keyword/southwest%20landscape%20photography#1259488221_xfnSZjX



No comments:

Post a Comment